Engineer Manager (Backend)
Packlink is a fast-growing global provider of shipping services and technology.
We are building the best shipping platform for consumers and businesses.
Shipping is complex and small to medium-sized companies need a simple solution. With our technology, they can ship with the carrier of their choice and deliver a premium service to their customers.
The Packlink Engineering team is looking to incorporate hands-on Engineering Managers to help software developers unlock their full potential.
We are looking for someone with people and leadership skills capable of understanding developer needs, within interdisciplinary teams and clearly defined responsibilities.
What you’ll find is
- Microservices, microservices and microservices, with more than 27 in production
- More than 3.4K requests per minute... are you up to the challenge?
- Event-oriented architecture
- A company with more than 15 nationalities
- Docker containers from your local environment until production
- DevOps mentality
- And much more!
What you will be doing:
This a mixed role; as a manager, you will:
- Work with 3 to 5 other talented engineers to help them deploy their skills. Given our organizational model, they may be in different teams and working to different priorities
- Conduct regular 1:1s with everyone you manage to give and receive feedback
- Coach, mentor and develop high performing engineers, maintaining a supportive and engaging team culture
- Help individuals determine the best way to reach their professional goals
- Hire, manage performance and provide useful, timely feedback
- Coordinate with other Engineering Managers to have common strategies and goals regarding people growth
- Participate in hiring processes for new candidates
- Lead by example
- Report directly to the CTO
As a Software Engineer, you will:
- Collaborate cross-functionally with business users, project managers and other engineers to achieve elegant solutions
- Work with our product and operations teams to improve our client experience
- Actively advocate for high quality, well tested code by being the example to follow
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support and enhancements in existing systems and platforms
- Monitor and troubleshoot software deployed into production
- Provide insightful technical solutions to the problems at hand
- Work alongside other engineers on the team to elevate technology and consistently apply best practices; grow the team’s excellence around JVM, FP and cloud technologies.
- Provide technical guidance to the other members of the team
What we are looking for:
- Work permit for the EU
- While we do not require previous Java/Scala knowledge, you should be willing to learn them
- 6+ years of real, hands-on experience in backend programming in a professional environment
- Experience in people management or willing to step into the manager path
- Experience with strongly typed programming languages or willing to learn
- Advanced with understanding of OOP principles
- Experience with VCS like git or Mercurial
- You are not afraid of technical challenges, in fact you hunger for the impossible. You thrive on coding
- Passionate about new technologies and problems to solve. You’re ready to offer fresh ideas
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, proactive, self-sufficient, but also a team oriented
- Highly communicative, you’re able to work with multiple teams: internal and external team members, clients and providers
- We are an international company, fluent reading in English is needed
- It would be valuable to have a degree in Computer Science or related technical/scientific discipline
It would be great if you:
- Have knowledge of Java 8 and its functional bits
- Having Scala Knowledge is a big plus
- Experience with Spring Framework (very welcome)
- Experience with Docker, Consul, RabbitMQ and other cloud-enabling technologies highly preferred
- Experience with microservices (or distributed systems) architecture is a plus
What we offer:
- Competitive salary package. We’re looking for the right person
- Up to 2000€/year budget to improve your skills
- Opportunity to attend and speak at local user groups as well as international events
- Flexible working hours
- Remote when needed
- Paid vacation leave, birthday off
- Amazing location, amazing city: Madrid centre (next to Atocha station)
- Free English/Spanish/German classes
- We care about you: gym membership or private health insurance, 100% free